Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Hay-Ku of the Day (Baying at the Moon)

[Rich Note: Accompanying image may be viewed at rfhay333.gather.com.]

(Baying at the Moon Photograph)

Baying at the Moon (2009); A phrase I used to characterize the “existential sadness and depths of despair” (subsequently recognized as a symptom of Delayed Stress Syndrome (DSS) associated with Vietnam service) that sometimes arose while “in my cups"; Photo Caption: Accompanying.]

"Like a dog barking
At its own reflection" I
Criticize “my” world.

[Rich Note: Inspired this morning (and so appropriate to the line of thought of the last few days it stepped to the head of the que) by the following Sufi story:

“Mullah Nasrudin, standing on the bank of a river, watched as a dog came to drink. The dog saw itself in the water and immediately began to bark. It barked and barked all morning and into the afternoon, until it was foaming at the mouth. Finally, dying of thirst, the dog fell in the river-- whereupon it quenched its thirst, climbed out and walked happily away.

Nasrudin said, "Thus I realized that all my life I had been barking at my own reflection."

(From “The Light that I am - Notes from the Ground of Being,” page 49, by J.C. Arberchele).]

No comments: