Saturday, October 17, 2015

Hay-Ku of the Day (Surviving the Story of Me and the World It Creates)

Thinking is "mental
Story telling" that evolved
To forestall danger.

Thinking connects the
Mental dots that noticing
Creates of my world.

Thinking can become a
Closed-loop feedback system that
Gets "stuck on itself."

To "pay" attention
Is to "give myself" as a
"Mental focal point."

My attention is
Captured by "My Story" as
A survival tool.

In "our world" it is
Fear that captures attention, 
In God's It is Love.

"Self-referenced thought"
Is an "evolved mental thumb"
That "crowns itself king."

The center of one’s
Conscious attention is both
An altar and throne.

Who abides on the 
Throne of conscious attention 
In your mental house?

If "self-thought sits" on
The throne of your attention
What do you worship?

Re: "Neuroeconomist Paul Zak has found that a story -- a narrative with a beginning, middle and end -- causes our brains to release cortisol and ocytocin. These chemicals trigger the uniquely human abilities to connect, empathize and make meaning. Story is literally in our DNA (p.6)." (from a FB Rev. Len Sweet Post)

[Rich Note: Aha! the biology reason behind mankind's present "self-entranced, enthralled, infatuation and unchallenged self-identification with and addiction to "the story of me" (a.k.a. "the me that says my" or "separate-self sense," etc.) that now takes up the preponderance of humanity's waking conscious awareness, attention and energy.  

So my "love of the story of me," and the energized sense of reality my obsessive attention to it naturally creates, stems from our chemically induced and reinforced capacity to empathize and connect with and so give meaning and a sense of reality to "My Story."  Really does sounds like we have been "biologically set-up" to feel and accept this "individual and collective story of me" that most of us are "programmed and conditioned to tell ourselves" and accept as our "only true or ultimate reality."

A discovery that also offers a good biological clue as to our seemingly natural human proclivity "not to let the facts get in the way of a good story"; and, especially so, if the "story being contradicted by reality" just happens to be "the story of the self-separate me" my mind is so fond of both "telling and selling" to maintain its place at the center (or throne) of my conscious attention, in the field of awareness I ultimately am.]

No comments: