Monday, June 2, 2014

Hay-Ku of the Day (A Memorial to Lewis Katz)

As One not other
Than I Am, a bell tolling
For One tolls for All.

[Rich Note: I did not know Mr. Katz, nor I did I know of him; yet, in reading the newspaper account of his sudden passing on Saturday, and his many "Good Works," the following closing quote brought a tear to my eye; as well as, a recollection of John Dunne's classic line,"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, for it tolls for thee,"*** to mind:

"It's never a perfect day unless you help someone who can never hope to repay you." Lewis Katz

(***Re: From the end of Donne's Meditation 17, Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, Morieris. {Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die} :

"...No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee..." -- John Donne.)]

No comments: